Relationship counseling can be an effective form of therapy where a licensed professional helps you navigate relationship challenges virtually. All types of relationships evolve and face challenges, so relationship counseling may be a great fit for you and a parent, close friend, sibling, partner, and/or colleague. It may be able to help you express your feelings to each other, resolve arguments, improve communication problems, make decisions, and/or adjust to relationship transitions. It can help relationships at varying stages. Seeking premarital counseling is a sign that you value the relationship. A licensed therapist will take into account both perspectives and help you work towards a common goal.
When should you seek relationship counseling?
It is best to attend relationship counseling before challenges in your relationship become too disruptive or detrimental. The earlier you seek support, the better chance you have of overcoming the challenges you face. You should think about attending denova virtual relationship counseling if you are experiencing any of the following:
- The desire for a stronger relationship– may occur if you feel something is lacking in your relationship. Over time, relationships change depending on what you are experiencing in your life. Work/life balance, family commitments, stress, financial strain, and other issues can lead you and another to drift apart. A professional therapist can work with you both to get things back on track and strengthen your relationship.
- Disconnectedness– is common when you are both busy in different aspects of your individual lives. Sometimes, the numerous everyday activities of normal family life mean that you and your partner are like two ships passing in the night. Before you feel too disconnected, seek support from a relationship counselor. They can help you work through the reasons you are feeling disconnected and help you reconnect again.
- Addiction/Substance Use– is tough for any relationship. Even if only one person is struggling with addiction, it impacts those they have a relationship with as well. Enabling behaviors, resentment, and/or relationship injuries can be attended to by a licensed professional. It is important to recognize that the relationship needs support in this situation, not just the person facing addiction.
- Communication challenges – appear in many forms, and communication is the foundation of any relationship. Sometimes, we can fall into negative communication patterns involving defensiveness, criticism, and other hurtful behaviors that have an impact on our relationship. relationship counseling can help you to identify your communication style and help you both to create healthy communication strategies to strengthen your relationship.
- Premarital counseling – can help identify areas for growth that a couple has yet to think or talk about, and/or it can strengthen an already healthy relationship foundation by exploring future shared goals. It can sometimes feel easier to discuss things in a safe and neutral space. Topics you might want to discuss in premarital counseling include finances, where you will live, roles and responsibilities, if you want children, how you want to raise your children, etc.
Whatever relationship problems you and your loved ones are facing, denova is here to help you. Our virtual relationship counseling therapists have specialized training and experience in working with a wide variety of relationships and challenges. You can find all our locations and contact details here or fill out a contact form today. We look forward to welcoming you to the denova family.