Too much screen time can be harmful to one’s health, emotional well-being, and brain development. While your kids can use the screen time for educational purposes, it’s easy for them to exceed the ideal screen time limits. Besides, adults who spend too much time on screens are more likely to be exposed to adverse health risks.
How Much Screen Time Should Adults Get?
The average screen time for most adults in the United States used to be 11 hours per day. However, due to the covid-19 pandemic restrictions in 2020, the numbers skyrocketed to 19 hours per day. If you would like to know what quantity of time you spend on the screens, you can set your phone, tablet, or computer to send weekly reports on your screen time.
There are definite screen time limits for children, but it is unclear how much time adults should spend behind their screens. However, it’s clear that too much screen time is harmful to your health.
For instance, a recent study revealed spending more than 6 hours a day behind a screen can cause depression. However, another research shows that spending at least 30 minutes on social media improves the overall well-being of adults. This shows that how you use your screen time also matters a lot.
How Much Screen Time Should Children Receive?
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, children below two years should not be exposed to media use. The academy also recommends that older kids should not have more than 2 hours of screen time a day.
Adverse Effects of too Much Screen Time
- Insomnia and sleep problems – The light released from electronic gadgets affects your sleep cycle by keeping you awake. Constant screen time during the day can make it challenging to unwind during the night. If you want to sleep soundly, you may consider keeping your screens out of your bedroom.
- Reduced physical activity levels – you can use the time you spend on your screen to engage in sports, walk, or work on projects. Spending too much time seated can also cause obesity, particularly in children.
- Addictive Behaviors – Too much screen time can be addictive to both children and adults. For instance, most people may use their electronic devices to cope, while others experience withdrawal symptoms if they can’t access their gadgets.
- Neck, shoulder, and back pain – Spending too much time on the screens can cause chronic back and neck pain due to poor posture.
- Headaches and eye strain – Too much screen time can cause discomfort in your eyes and fatigue. The brightness on the screen can cause your eyes to strain, which can cause headaches.
Tips for Implementing Screen Time Limits
Limiting screen time to only a few hours a day can be difficult. With these tips, you can reduce the screen time for you and your family.
- Maintain screen-free bedrooms – You may need to set a rule that electronic gadgets are not allowed in the bedrooms. Devices may include smartphones, TVs, and computers.
- Turn off notifications – If you think that notifications tempt you to use your phone, you may decide to turn them off.
- Set a timer – You can limit your screen time by setting a timer on your phone or microwave. Once the timer goes off, you should switch off the device and focus on other activities.
Contact denova Collaborative Healthcare
If you are having issues with managing your screen time or have experienced the negative consequences of excessive screen time, you may consider reaching out for professional help. At denova, are here to support all your needs, including the effects of too much screen time. Don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with us today.